Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The great day that turned....

Monday March 1, 2010 was a great day! Ryan woke up with a smile, and was just a smiley, happy guy all morning. We played on his activity mat, danced to music, and he enjoyed some time in the swing while I stripped the bed and put in a load of laundry. He let me put him in his bouncy seat, where he sat, wide eyed and content on the bathroom floor the entire time that I showered, dressed, and did my hair and make-up.

We then headed to Target and the grocery store where he napped the entire time. We got home, and he stayed content in his car seat long enough to let me unload all the groceries and switch the laundry from the washer to the dryer and put in another load.

I was on top of the world! I was super mom! I had gotten so much done and Ryan had been happy and content the entire time. And then....

Then, I was debating whether I should feed him or change him. I knew he would be hungry as soon as he was fully awake, but he had also been sitting in that diaper for quite a while. I decided to go for the diaper change. I did my usual preparations: laid out the new diaper and Desitin (he is nursing a diaper rash that while much improved WILL NOT GO AWAY!) got a warm wash cloth (see above re: diaper rash), and then lay him on the changing table. He was still a bit sleepy. I put a wipe over his you know what, as he has previously demonstrated that he is an effective squirter and I went to town.

Then I heard it. The farts started, and then the poop began flowing. I immediately moved the wipe from its position over his penis in order to prevent the poo from getting everywhere. He then immediately began peeing. It squirted up on his face and much to my horror he began LICKING HIS FACE! At which time he began screaming, partially out of hunger I am sure, but also because, well, HE JUST DRANK PEE! At this point I was desperately wishing my husband was home to help. But he wasn't. Alas....

I put on a new diaper as quickly as possible and then just scooped him up to nurse him. He chowed down for a good ten minutes, but then, because he had been so worked up he immediately began to vomit, two rather large vomits. He probably didn't actually digest anything he had just eaten and he was now covered in three body fluids. He got his first afternoon bath, and was immediately content again, as he loves his bath! He was no worse for the wear, and I guess neither was I, I suppose.

Ahhhhh, the fabulous life of a new mom.


  1. Isn't it crazy how you can go from "Super Mom" to "Mom covered in body fluids" in 2.2 seconds?! Sounds like you got it under control quickly. Oh, and I laughed out loud at the image of Ryan drinking his own pee! Classic! :)

  2. YOu finally have a screen name!! I"m so glad because i almost called Heather the other day to find out how you are doing. It's very strange to go from talking to someone every day to absolutely zero information!!

    This post is hilarious. I was laughing out loud. There is a stomach virus going around, i hope he doesn't have it. I think my Ryan had it last week and survived, and at home, nonetheless. Yeah!

    Now that I know you are here, I will be watching, um, I mean, reading.

  3. OH and Yes, Amy from CICU won the pendant.

  4. Oh, I know, it's so glamorous isn't it?


The Cam Fam has been Published on:

Scary Mommy