Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Reflections on 30

Last Wednesday (June 1st) I turned 30 years old. I had a wonderful birthday with Matt and Ryan. But other than a few jokes from extended family members and friends about "getting old" it truly was just another birthday. But, it did cause me to pause and reflect a bit on life. I found myself feeling very fortunate.

I have an amazing family. My husband is my best friend, my true partner, and the man with whom I know (without a doubt) I am supposed to spend my life. I have a beautiful, happy, healthy little boy who is the light of my life. My parents are amazing. My brothers are two of my best friends, as are my Sisters-in-law. I have wonderful friends and extended family members. All of these people make my life rich, and full, and meaningful.

I have also been fortunate to have found a career about which I am passionate. I love what I do. Seeing as being a mom is my current priority, I don't do it as much as I used to, but when I am at work (every Friday) I am very, very happy. I am so lucky to have found my "calling" so early in life. I began working on my MSW when I was 21 years old (a Junior in college) and I have never looked back. I know with certainty, that other than being a mom and a wife, I was put on this earth to be a Pediatric Medical Social Worker: to be a support to some very special children and their families. I know how lucky I am.

This isn't to say that my life has always been perfect. Recently some people very close to me have had some major medical scares. Fortunately they are doing well now. But even in those horrible, scary moments I was lucky to have the family, friends, and colleagues that I have to support me and my family.

Looking back on the past 30 years I am an extremely grateful woman. As a younger woman I never set forth on a particular prescription for what I would do/be/have by the time I was 30. But if I had, I have a feeling it would have looked a lot like the life I am living now.

Here's to the next 30, 60, and however many more, years ahead: May they be as wonderful as the last 30.

1 comment:

The Cam Fam has been Published on:

Scary Mommy